Broken Sword series is a beloved point-and-click adventure game franchise that has been around since 1996.
The first game, Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars, was a critical and commercial success, and it spawned two sequels, Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror and Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon.
In a recent announcement, Revolution Software, the developer of the Broken Sword series, revealed that they are working on a full remake of the first game, as well as a brand-new sequel.
The remake will be titled Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars – Remake, and it will be released for PC, consoles, and mobile devices. The sequel, which is currently untitled, will be released for PC and consoles.
The remake will feature a completely rebuilt game engine, updated graphics, and new voice acting. It will also include a new chapter that expands on the story of the original game.
The sequel will be a direct continuation of the story of the first game, and it will feature the return of George Stobbart and Nicole Collard.
The development team for the remake and sequel includes many of the original creators of the Broken Sword series, including Charles Cecil, Dave Gibbons, and Noirin Carmody. The games are being funded by a Kickstarter campaign, which has already raised over £1 million.
The remake and sequel of Broken Sword are scheduled to be released in 2024.
Here are some additional details about the remake and sequel:
- The remake will be developed using the Unreal Engine 5.
- The graphics will be cel-shaded, in the style of the original game.
- The voice acting will be done by a new cast, but the original voice actors will be available as DLC.
- The new chapter in the remake will be written by Charles Cecil and Dave Gibbons.
- The sequel will be set in Paris and London.
- The sequel will feature a new villain, who is a descendant of the Templars from the first game.
The remake and sequel of Broken Sword are a major undertaking, but the development team is confident that they can do justice to the original games. They are also excited to introduce the series to a new generation of players.