Ubisoft is reportedly planning to release two new Far Cry games in 2025, according to a recent rumour from insider Tom Henderson. The first game is said to be a traditional sequel to Far Cry 6, codenamed Far Cry 7, while the second game is said to be a multiplayer spin-off codenamed Maverick.
Henderson claims that Far Cry 7 will be released in the autumn of 2025, while Maverick will be released in April 2025. He also claims that Maverick will be an extraction shooter similar to Escape From Tarkov or Sega’s cancelled Hyenas, where players are tasked with completing contracts while gathering resources and surviving against other players and the environment.
Ubisoft has not yet commented on the rumour, but it’s worth noting that Henderson has a good track record when it comes to leaking Ubisoft games. For example, he was the first to report on the existence of Far Cry 6 and Assassin’s Creed Valhalla.
If the rumour is true, it would suggest that Ubisoft is committed to the Far Cry franchise. The series has been a huge success for Ubisoft, with Far Cry 6 selling over 10 million copies in its first six weeks of release.
However, it’s also worth noting that Ubisoft has been criticized in recent years for its open-world games becoming too formulaic. It remains to be seen whether Far Cry 7 and Maverick will be able to innovate enough to keep fans engaged.
Here is a summary of the key details from the rumour:
- Two new Far Cry games are reportedly planned for release in 2025.
- The first game, codenamed Far Cry 7, is said to be a traditional sequel to Far Cry 6.
- The second game, codenamed Maverick, is said to be a multiplayer spin-off.
- Maverick is said to be an extraction shooter similar to Escape From Tarkov or Sega’s cancelled Hyenas.
- Far Cry 7 is said to be released in the autumn of 2025, while Maverick is said to be released in April 2025.
It’s important to note that this is just a rumour at this stage, and Ubisoft has not yet confirmed any of this information. However, given Henderson’s track record, it’s certainly worth paying attention to.