Durand Cup 2023: Mohun Bagan Super Giant kicked off their Durand Cup campaign in style, with a 5-0 thrashing of Bangladesh Army on Thursday. The Mariners were in control from the start, and Liston Colaco, Manvir Singh, Suhail Ahmad Bhat, Lalrinliana Hnamte, and Kiyan Nassiri all got on the scoresheet.
Bagan started the match brightly, and they took the lead in the 14th minute when Colaco finished off a well-worked move. Manvir doubled the lead in the 29th minute, converting a penalty after Hnamte was fouled in the box.
Bangladesh Army were reduced to 10 men in the first half when Minhajur Rahman was sent off for a second yellow card. Bagan took advantage of their numerical superiority, and they added two more goals before half-time through Bhat and Hnamte.
Bagan continued to dominate in the second half, and they added a fifth goal through Nassiri in the 89th minute. The win was a perfect start for Bagan, who will be looking to go all the way in the Durand Cup this year.
Here are the key takeaways from the match:
- Mohun Bagan were in complete control from the start, and they deserved their victory.
- Liston Colaco was in excellent form, and he scored a brilliant goal.
- Manvir Singh was also on target, and he is in good form for the start of the season.
- Bangladesh Army were poor, and they were no match for Bagan.
- The red card to Minhajur Rahman was a turning point in the match, and it made it very difficult for Bangladesh Army to get back into the game.
Here is a summary of the goals scored in the match:
- 14th minute: Liston Colaco (Mohun Bagan)
- 29th minute: Manvir Singh (Mohun Bagan) (penalty)
- 40th minute: Suhail Bhat (Mohun Bagan)
- 58th minute: SK Hnamte (Mohun Bagan)
- 89th minute: Kiyan Nassiri (Mohun Bagan)
This match was a statement of intent from Mohun Bagan, and they will be a force to be reckoned with in the Durand Cup this year.