NFL 2023: The NFL has indefinitely suspended Denver Broncos defensive end Eyioma Uwazurike for betting on NFL games during the 2022 season. The league announced the suspension on Monday, July 24, 2023.
Uwazurike, a fourth-round draft pick out of Iowa State in 2022, played in eight games as a rookie. He was suspended for violating the NFL’s gambling policy, which prohibits players from betting on NFL games in any way.
The suspension is indefinite, meaning that Uwazurike could be reinstated at some point in the future. However, he will not be eligible to play for the Broncos until he is reinstated.
The suspension is a major setback for Uwazurike, who was hoping to build on his promising rookie season. He will now have to wait to see if he will be able to resume his NFL career.
In a statement, the Broncos said that they were “disappointed” in Uwazurike’s actions. “We take matters pertaining to the integrity of the game very seriously,” the statement said. “We have cooperated fully with the NFL’s investigation and will continue to do so.”
Uwazurike is the 10th player to be disciplined by the NFL for gambling on games since the 2022 season ended. The other nine players were all suspended for one year.
The NFL has strict gambling rules that prohibit anyone in the NFL from engaging in any form of gambling in any club or league facility or venue, including the practice facility. This includes betting on NFL games, practices, or other events. NFL personnel are also prohibited from soliciting or facilitating bets on NFL games, and from sharing inside information about NFL games with anyone who might bet on them.
The rules are strictly enforced, and players who violate them can face serious penalties, including suspension or even expulsion from the league. In recent years, the NFL has cracked down on gambling violations, and several players have been suspended for betting on NFL games.
Here are some of the key rules of the NFL’s gambling policy:
- No betting on NFL games. This includes betting on game outcome, statistics, score, performance of any individual participant, or any other kind of ‘proposition bet’ on which wagering is offered.
- No gambling in the workplace or while working. This means that players cannot bet on NFL games while they are at the team facility, on the road with the team, or while making an endorsement or promotional appearance.
- No soliciting or facilitating bets on NFL games. This means that players cannot ask others to bet on NFL games for them, or help others place bets.
- No sharing inside information about NFL games with anyone who might bet on them. This includes information about injuries, game plans, or other sensitive information.
- No participating in daily fantasy sports (DFS) contests that involve NFL games.
It remains to be seen if Uwazurike will be able to resume his NFL career. However, the suspension is a major setback for the young player, who was hoping to build on his promising rookie season.