Ashes 2023: Lyon was hit on the right thigh by a delivery from Stuart Broad on the final day of the match and was in considerable pain. However, he refused to retire hurt and instead hobbled out to the crease to face the next ball. He faced 13 deliveries, including a boundary, and contributed to a 15-run partnership that featured a booming six by Starc.
After the match, Lyon said he was proud of his performance and that he would not have changed a thing.
“I’m not going to lie, it was pretty sore,” he said. “But I wanted to get out there and bat for the team. I’m proud of the way I handled it. I’m proud of myself for going out there and doing that. If it was tomorrow I’d do it again, and again and again and again.”
Lyon’s one-legged performance was met with widespread praise from fans and pundits alike. Former England captain Michael Vaughan said it was “one of the bravest things I’ve ever seen on a cricket field.”
“He could have easily retired hurt,” Vaughan said. “But he showed incredible courage and determination to get out there and bat.”
Lyon’s performance is a reminder of the dedication and commitment that professional cricketers have to their sport. It is also a testament to the toughness and resilience of the human body.
Ashes 2023, The incident:
- The match was being played at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
- Lyon was hit on the thigh by a delivery from Broad in the 87th over of the Australia innings.
- He immediately fell to the ground in pain.
- After a short delay, he was able to stand up and walk off the field.
- He returned to the crease in the 90th over and faced the next ball.
- He was dismissed for 2 off the next ball.
- Australia went on to win the match by 146 runs.
Ashes 2023, Reactions to Lyon’s performance:
- “One of the bravest things I’ve ever seen on a cricket field.” – Michael Vaughan
- “Lyon showed incredible courage and determination.” – Nasser Hussain
- “A true champion.” – Steve Smith
- “A moment that will live long in the memory.” – Cricket Australia