India’s Lakshya Sen continued his impressive run at the US Open Badminton 2023 on Friday, reaching the semi-finals with a straight-games victory over compatriot S Sankar Muthusamy Subramanian.
The 21-year-old Sen, who is seeded third in the tournament, won 21-10, 21-17 in the all-Indian quarterfinal clash. He will now face China’s Li Shi Feng in the semi-finals on Saturday.
Sen was in dominant form throughout the match, racing to a 7-1 lead in the first game and never looking back. He continued his dominance in the second game, winning 17 of the last 20 points to seal the victory.
Sen’s win is a major boost for his hopes of winning his first Super 300 title. He has already won the Canada Open this year, and a victory at the US Open would be a major step forward in his career.
Sen’s performance on Friday was also a positive sign for Indian badminton. The country has been struggling to produce top-level male singles players in recent years, but Sen is one of a number of young players who are starting to make an impact on the world stage.
With Sen in the semi-finals, India still has a chance of winning a medal at the US Open. The other Indian in the singles draw, PV Sindhu, was knocked out in the quarterfinals by China’s Gao Fang Jie.
Here are some of the key takeaways from Sen’s victory:
- Sen’s performance was a reminder of his immense potential. He is still only 21 years old, but he has already shown that he can compete with the best players in the world.
- Sen’s win is a major boost for Indian badminton. The country has been struggling to produce top-level male singles players in recent years, but Sen is one of a number of young players who are starting to make an impact on the world stage.
- Sen’s victory also shows that the Indian team is in good shape ahead of the Commonwealth Games, which will be held in Birmingham in July 2022.
Sen’s journey to the top has not been easy. He comes from a small town in Uttarakhand, and had to overcome financial constraints and a lack of facilities to pursue his dream of becoming a badminton player. However, his hard work and dedication have paid off, and he is now one of the most promising young players in the world.
Sen is a versatile player with a strong all-round game. He is known for his attacking style of play, and his ability to hit winners from all over the court. He is also a very good defender, and is able to retrieve difficult shots with ease.
Sen is still only 21 years old, but he has already achieved a great deal in his career. He is sure to be a force to be reckoned with in the years to come, and he will be one of the players to watch at the 2024 Paris Olympics.
Here are some of the key milestones in Sen’s journey:
- 2013: Sen joins the Prakash Padukone Academy in Bengaluru.
- 2017: Sen becomes the world junior number one.
- 2018: Sen wins gold at the Asian Junior Championships and the Summer Youth Olympics.
- 2021: Sen wins bronze at the World Championships.
- 2022: Sen wins silver at the All England Open and the Thomas Cup.
- 2023: Sen wins gold at the Commonwealth Games and the Canada Open.
Sen will be hoping to continue his good form in the semi-finals and reach his first Super 300 final. A victory in the final would be a major achievement for the young Indian, and it would be a sign that he is ready to challenge for the biggest titles in the world.